“IF YOU SEE A MAN DROWNING, YOU MUST TRY TO SAVE HIM, EVEN IF YOU CANT SWIM”
During World War 2, the world saw many horrors, but along with these, we saw stories of some amazing human beings who did every thing possible to save humanity. One such woman was, Irena Sendler, who was relatively unknown to the world till 1999, when four kansas high school students wrote and performed ‘LIFE IN A JAR”, a play on Irena’s life.
During WW2, Irena, a Polish Social Worker, got permission to work in a Warsaw Ghetto, where she passed herself off as a nurse to sneak supplies and aid into (and children out of) the Ghetto.
She had come to know the Nazi plans for the Jews, and as seen in the below video, she had decided to do something to save the children’s lives.
Irena, along with her associates, smuggled the infants out by placing them at the bottom of the tool box she carried, while older children were smuggled by hiding them at the back of her truck. She then provided the kids with fake identity documents, and provided them a place to stay outside the Ghetto, thus saving them from the holocaust.
She also had a dog in the back, who was trained to bark whenever any Nazi soldier let her in and out of the Ghetto. The Nazis wanted nothing to do with the dog, and the barking covered the children’s noise, if any. This way she was able to save 2,500 Jewish kids.
Nazis eventually discovered her activities, tortured her, and sentenced her to death, but she managed to evade execution and survive the war.
Irena had kept the list of all the kids she had managed to save. This list was buried in a glass jar in her backyard.
After the war, she dug out the jar, and tried to find the parents of the kids. She was able to reunite some of the families But, unfortunately, mostly the families had been gassed, for such kids Irena found foster homes.
In 2007. Irena was nominated for Noble Peace Price, but lost.
The peace price was received by Al Gore for his work on Global Warming.
On May 12, 2008, Irena passed away on pneumonia at the age of 98, in Warsaw.
A beautiful movie has been made called “A Courageous Heart Of Irena Sendler”.
It is movie that well, just cannot be described, you have to watch it!
The movie can be found on YouTube.
Here are the links:
- Irena Sendler, We Honor You (jewishpress.com)
- Brave woman files: Irena Sendler (thebravewomanproject.wordpress.com)
- Irena Sendler: Let’s Remember A Remarkable Heroine (jewishpress.com)
- Life in a Jar: Inspiration Over Fear (ninabadzin.com)
- Life in a jar. Irena Sendler smuggled 2500 Jewish infants out in the bottom of the tool box she carried. (madebymnemo.wordpress.com)
- 2010: The Year of Irena Sendler? (andrewhammel.typepad.com)
- Heroine’s Story to Be Premiered on May 1, (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Irena Sendler (liebiesrants.wordpress.com)
- True heroes in our lifetime (twawki.com)